The diagnosis of elderly clients may pose multiple challenges. Coupled with other symptoms from age and/or medical conditions, psychologists may encounter complications in making an accurate, differential diagnosis between neurocognitive disorders and psychological disorders.
For example, as neurocognitive disorders involve a deficit or dysfunction in cognition, psychologists need to eliminate alternate possibilities for the neurocognitive impairment to make an accurate diagnosis.
For this Discussion, consider various complications that may arise with the diagnoses of elderly clients. Select one neurocognitive impairment (delirium, Alzheimer’s disease, or avascular based neurocognitive disorder) and one psychological disorder and consider the factors that may influence an accurate differential diagnosis in elderly clients. Then, consider how medications for elderly clients may complicate an accurate diagnosis.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a description of the neurocognitive impairment and the psychological disorder you selected. Then describe three factors you must consider in making a differential diagnosis and explain why. Finally, explain how medications for elderly clients may complicate an accurate diagnosis.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources and current literature.
· American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders(5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.
o Neurodevelopmental and Neurocognitive Disorders
o Disruptive, Impulse-Control
o Conduct Disorders
o Elimination Disorders
· Paris, J. (2015). The intelligent clinician’s guide to the DSM-5 (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press…
· Chapter 12, Neurodevelopmental and Disruptive Behavioral Disorders
· Gresham, F. M., Watson, T. S., & Skinner, C. H. (2001). Functional behavioral assessment: Principles, procedures, and future directions. School Psychology Review, 30(2), 156–172. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Grzadzinski, R., Huerta, M., & Lord, C. (2013). DSM-5 and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs): An opportunity for identifying ASD subtypes. Molecular Autism, 4(1), 1–6. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Lord, C., & Jones, R. M. (2012). Annual Research Review: Re-thinking the classification of autism spectrum disorders. Journal Of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 53(5), 490–509. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Ozonoff, S. (2012). Editorial perspective: Autism spectrum disorders in DSM-5—A historical perspective and the need for change. Journal Of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 53(10), 1092–1094. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Volkmar, F. R., & Reichow, B. (2013). Autism in DSM-5: Progress and challenges. Molecular Autism, 4(1), 1–6. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
Our customer is the center of what we do and thus we offer 100% original essays..
By ordering our essays, you are guaranteed the best quality through our qualified experts.All your information and everything that you do on our website is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The paper ordered is very original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the industry which ensures that the the essay written is 100% original. In that regard,we have a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
Our Company thrives on excellence and thus we help ensure the Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order.To do so, we provide a Free Revision policy as a courtesy service. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provides the request within Fifteen (15) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations and research papers.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endeavor to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more